Pages

Monday, February 10, 2020

Ken's Face!




These two Ken dolls are both 1st edition Kens with fuzzy, flocked, brunette hair.

But, look at how different they seem!

Of course, left-side Ken is slightly worse condition than right-side Ken, but a lot more is going on here.

-  Eyebrow shape and size is different
-  Head size seems different
-  Lip color is different

I've heard in the past that head sized varied due to molds changing during the production process.  A new mold would be less worn down and the head would be smaller.  A old mold would have been used longer and worn away causing a bigger head.  I don't know if this is true but it seems likely.

Lip color could vary depending on who was doing the painting that day.  Left-side Ken has pale lips, while right-side ken is very peachy.  All early Barbies were "hand painted" in Japan.... though what "hand painted" means varies.  (Brush / airbrush / stencils / etc.)

Eyebrows, again, varied on who is doing the painting that day.

I gotta say, I prefer Right-Side Ken.  I think Left-Side Ken is on the football team, while Right-Side Ken is on the baseball team, haha!


Theoretically speaking, Right-Side Ken is older than Left-Side Ken, but I don't feel positive about that proclamation, either.

I've been thinking about doing some videos to go along with this blog.  I've been collecting Vintage Barbie for close to 30 years, but I still see things that surprise me. 

Lots of times, when I haven't seen a particular outfit in person or up close EVER, or in YEARS, when I finally see it in person something will surprise me... like.. "oh, the closure is like THAT?" or "Wow, THIS is what the fabric feels like?"  Some things, you just can't portray well in a picture.  Maybe some videos would help other collectors know what they're looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment